As a business owner, email marketing is one of the most important channels you have to reach and engage customers. But manually creating and sending individual emails can be time-consuming — especially as your list grows. That's where email marketing automation software comes in. These email marketing tools allow you to create automated email sequences that send based on customer behaviors, such as subscribing to your list or making a purchase.
In this article, we'll introduce you to 10 email marketing automation software platforms that can help you achieve maximum business growth and enhance your overall marketing efforts.
Sendlane is an all-in-one email marketing automation platform that helps you grow your business. It has powerful features like email automation, segmentation, contextual data, and SMS. Sendlane’s intuitive interface makes it easy to create automated emails based on customer behaviors as well as segment your lists to send more targeted messages — effectively enhancing your lead generation efforts. Plus, you can use multi-variate testing to optimize your emails for better results. We think it's the best email marketing software for eCommerce businesses!
- Pre-built funnels: Pick from over 50 email and SMS funnels designed with the most cutting-edge eCommerce strategies in mind. From product recommendations to abandoned carts and post-purchase sequences to re-engagement initiatives — these prebuilt funnels make customization easy so that you can tailor every email campaign to fit the goals of your overall marketing campaigns.
- Real-time analytics: Step back and get the big picture of your customer data. Keep tabs on both email and SMS campaigns effortlessly instead of having to scroll through multiple pages. Not only will you quickly understand what's effective, but also precisely calculate ROI for each channel with no guesswork involved.
- Customer service: At Sendlane, we offer around-the-clock live chat support in all plans, including free trials. You'll get a response from us within 30 seconds or less!
- Deliverability: Our email infrastructure not only provides you with access to our premium IP settings but also enhances your deliverability rate and sender reputation. This allows you to effectively reach customers through emails while raising the chances of them purchasing from your store.
In addition to email marketing services, Sendlane offers email marketing plus SMS add-on subscriptions that allow you to purchase credit bundles with your email plan — great for small businesses and large enterprises alike. This is just one of the many reasons we think Sendlane is the best email marketing software.
- Growth Plans: Start at $83/month for up to 5,000 contacts. You get access to all features, our all-star Product Support Team, the SMS subscription add-on, and access to eCommerce Academy - Email Marketing Basics & SMS Marketing Basics online courses
- Pro Plans: Start at $640/month for up to 50,000 contacts. You get access to everything in the Growth plan, plus custom onboarding, access to our Customer Success Team, monthly program reviews, and access to eCommerce Academy - Email Marketing Basics, Novice, and Intermediate, and SMS Marketing Basics online courses.
SMS/MMS subscriptions start from $100 (monthly) for 5,000 credits, or save even more with annual plans!
- 1 SMS = 1 credit
- 1 MMS = 3 credits
Klaviyo is an email marketing automation tool designed to help businesses, from small to large, maximize their sales and increase customer loyalty. With Klaviyo, you can easily set up automated emails that are triggered by customer behaviors or events—such as abandoned carts, purchases, website visits, page views and more. Plus, this email marketing service gives you access to comprehensive analytics and deep segmentation that you can use to personalize your emails for even better results and more effective marketing campaigns.
- Customer segmentation: Deliver highly-targeted emails and text messages to key customer segments, including those who already used discount codes or purchased from particular brands.
- Personalization: Klaviyo offers a range of personalization options, including dynamic content and product recommendations, to further enhance the effectiveness of email campaigns.
- Benchmark: By filtering through industry, monthly revenue, and average item value (and more!), you can effortlessly contrast your email and SMS performance to that of other eCommerce businesses with similar metrics.
- Free: $0/month for up to 250 contacts + 500 monthly email sends + 150 free monthly SMS/MMS credits
- Email: $100/month for 3,501-5,000 contacts + 150 free monthly SMS/MMS credits
- Email and SMS: from $115/month for 3,501-5,000 contacts
Mailchimp is an intuitive email marketing tool offering drag-and-drop templates and a deep level of customization for more effective campaigns. With Mailchimp, you can send automated emails triggered by customer behaviors or events—such as abandoned carts, purchases, website visits, page views, and more. Plus, you can dive deep into your email marketing analytics to ensure success for your marketing campaigns.
- Campaign Builder: Easily create professional-looking email marketing campaigns with drag-and-drop tools, automated A/B testing, and intuitive design options.
- Automation: Automate customer journeys based on any criteria you choose, including customers’ activity, past purchases, and more, using Mailchimp's automation tools.
- Predictive segmentation: Enhance your email targeting and build personalized experiences by segmenting your list according to customer behaviors, activities, and characteristics. This allows you to create timely messages that are always relevant (please note: this feature is only available in Standard and Premium plans).
- Free: $0 for up to 500 contacts + pre-built email templates + basic reporting and analytics + email support for first 30 days, and more
- Essentials: from $10/month for everything in Free + 24/7 email and chat support + email scheduling + A/B testing, and more
- Standard: from $17/month for everything in Essentials + predictive segmentation + send time optimization + dynamic content, and more
- Premium: from $302/month for everything in Standard + multivariate testing + phone and priority support + dedicated onboarding specialist, and more.
ActiveCampaign is an all-in-one marketing automation platform that helps businesses of all sizes to grow their customer base and drive more sales with powerful email marketing campaigns. With ActiveCampaign, you can create custom emails triggered by customer behaviors or events—such as abandoned carts, purchases, website visits, page views and more. Plus, you have access to comprehensive analytics and deep segmentation that you can use to personalize your emails for even better results.
- Email automation: Automatically send relevant emails based on customer behaviors, including abandoned cart reminders, purchase follow-ups, newsletters, and more.
- Dynamic content: Personalize each message with dynamic content tailored to individual customers.
- Integrations: Streamline your marketing campaigns and sales operations while providing a superior customer experience by integrating with 800+ third-party applications.
- Lite: from $9/month for unlimited email sending + marketing automation + segmentation, and more
- Plus: from $49/month for everything in Lite + contact scoring + SMS marketing + eCommerce store integration, and more
- Professional: from $149/month for everything in Plus + website personalization + marketing attribution + conversion reporting, and more
- Enterprise: Custom quote for everything in Professional + custom domain, free design services + custom reporting, and more.
Drip is a marketing automation platform that helps businesses capture leads, nurture them with personalized messages, and close sales. With Drip, you can create automated campaigns based on any criteria you choose—such as website visits, page views, purchases and more. You can also segment your list according to customer behaviors and characteristics for highly targeted messages. Plus, you have access to comprehensive analytics and optimization tools that allow you to track the success of each campaign and make data-driven decisions.
- Workflow split tests: Decide the most successful version of your email depending on your objectives and analytics with ease.
- Dynamic segmentation: Segmentation of your list can be done quickly by using specific criteria (for example, to avoid general discounting). Additionally, the process for creating unique tags is incredibly simple.
- Visual Builder: Drip's visually intuitive workflow builder is ideal for beginners, allowing users to quickly and easily understand the tools with just a few seconds of exploration.
Starts at $39/month for up to 2,500 contacts + unlimited email sends, email support, pre-built playbooks, and more.
6. Constant Contact
Constant Contact is an easy-to-use marketing automation platform that helps businesses of all sizes to build relationships with customers and drive more sales. With Constant Contact, you can create personalized emails with dynamic content to reach your target audience. Plus, you have access to a library of templates and pre-built campaigns so you can get started quickly. You can also track the success of each campaign with comprehensive analytics and optimization tools.
- List segmentation: Create targeted emails based on customer characteristics, behaviors and interests.
- Email templates: With Constant Contact, you'll have the ability to pick from 200+ professionally-designed and mobile-friendly templates. Use their user-friendly builder by simply dragging & dropping different elements to customize your template.
- Email tracking software: Take a deep dive into the analytics of your top-performing emails and pinpoint which links drew in the highest concentration of clicks using heat maps.
- Core: from $9.99/month + hundreds of email templates + sign up forms, social media posting, and more.
- Plus: from $45/month + everything in Core + list growth tools + dynamic content personalization + automated communications, and more.
7. Campaign Monitor
Campaign Monitor is an email marketing and automation platform that helps businesses to create personalized emails and automate their campaigns. With Campaign Monitor, you can create beautiful newsletters with dynamic content in minutes. Plus, you have access to comprehensive analytics and optimization tools that allow you to track the success of each campaign and make data-driven decisions.
- List segmentation: Segment your list by customer behaviors and characteristics to ensure you're sending the most relevant content.
- Drag & drop email builder: Create stunning, mobile-friendly emails with Campaign Monitor's drag-and-drop email builder in just minutes.
- Automated campaigns: Automate common processes like onboarding, customer engagement, and more with ease.
- Basic: Starts at $9/month for up to 2,500 emails, custom templates, real-time analytics and more.
- Unlimited: Starts at $29/month and includes everything the basic plan has but with no limit on the number of emails.
- Premier: Starts at $149/month and is for advanced segmentation plus premier support.
Omnisend is a comprehensive marketing automation tool that enables businesses to create and manage personalized campaigns for their customers. With Omnisend, you can easily segment your list by customer data, create customized emails and automate common processes like onboarding and customer engagement.
- Email templates: Craft eye-catching emails in mere minutes with Omnisend's library of ready-to-go templates. Instantly personalize each one to align perfectly with your brand and save for future campaigns as needed.
- Drag & Drop email builder: The simple drag & drop email builder makes it easy to craft campaigns full of interactive content blocks that are tailored for eCommerce.
- Campaign targeting: Utilize your customers' profiles, shopping histories, and various other filters to form appropriate audience segments for including or excluding from campaigns to help create more impactful marketing strategies with greater targeting potential.
- Free: This is best for businesses that are just starting up and want to reach up to 250 contacts.
- Standard: Starts at $16/month and is best for growing and medium-sized businesses focused on email marketing.
- Pro: Starts at $59/month and is best for high-volume senders who also want to include SMS marketing in their efforts.
GetResponse is an all-in-one marketing platform that helps businesses create and deploy effective email campaigns no matter their level of expertise. With GetResponse, you have access to their intuitive drag & drop editor and hundreds of professionally-designed templates to get your emails off the ground quickly.
- Drag & drop editor: Create beautiful email campaigns in minutes with GetResponse's drag & drop editor.
- Automated workflows: Automatically trigger emails based on customer behavior, preferences, and other criteria.
- Email Templates: GetResponse has hundreds of professionally-designed templates for you to choose from.
Pricing starts at $19/month for up to 1,000 contacts and ranges to $539/month for up to 100,000 contacts and includes features such as automation, A/B testing, and more. Higher-tier plans offer additional features like CRM integration and priority support.
ConvertKit is an email marketing platform designed to help online businesses automate their sales funnels and grow their subscriber base. With ConvertKit, you can create and customize emails, set up automation sequences for customer engagement, and measure the success of each campaign. This platform is a great option for email marketing software for B2C businesses.
- Customizable opt-in forms: Create high-converting opt-in forms to acquire more leads and increase sign-ups.
- Email Automation: Set up automated workflows to engage customers at every stage of their journey.
- Analytics & Tracking: Track opens, clicks, and conversions with detailed statistics for each email campaign.
- Free: This plan is for creators who are starting to build their list. It includes up to 300 contacts.
- Creator: Starts at $9/month and is for growing creators looking to automate their workflows. It ranges from 300 to 400,000 subscribers.
- Creator Pro: Starts at $25/month and is for established creators looking to scale their businesses. It ranges from 300 to 400,000 subscribers. For more than the allotted subscribers, you'll need to contact their team for enterprise pricing.
What to Know Before Choosing an Email Marketing Automation Software
Before selecting the best email marketing automation software for your business, take the time to consider your business's needs and the features each platform provides. The best email marketing tools help your sales team and your marketing team enhance their lead generation and marketing efforts for success across all campaigns. If you're wondering how email automation works, be sure to check out this article. It's also important to think about the following factors:
Automation and segmentation
Look for an email automation platform that allows you to create automated email campaigns, send out segmented emails based on customer data, use triggers to start emails when customers take a certain action, and other advanced features.
Analytics & Reporting
Choose an email automation software that offers analytics and reporting capabilities so you can track the performance of your campaigns and make data-driven decisions. Make sure the software you choose has comprehensive reporting capabilities so you can track and measure the success of your campaigns. Look for features like open rate tracking, click-through rate tracking, A/B testing, and more.
If you don't have the resources to create custom emails, look for a platform that offers professionally-designed templates. This will make it easier to get your campaigns up and running quickly.
Before selecting your email marketing service, make sure it fits your budget. Some platforms offer a free plan and affordable monthly plans, while others require an upfront annual fee. Consider the features you need and compare your email marketing software cost to find the best option for your business.
Make sure the email automation software you select has customer service support if you need help. Look for platforms that offer tutorials, phone support, FAQs, and other helpful resources to get the most out of your campaigns.
Look for a platform that integrates with other software you use, such as CRM or eCommerce systems. This will help streamline your workflow and make it easier to track the success of your campaigns. Also be sure that your platform can grow with you by looking for an email and SMS platform to streamline efforts.
The Best Way to Start with Email Marketing Automation
Email marketing automation can be an incredibly powerful tool for any online business. But getting started can be overwhelming. That's why it's important to have a plan in place before you start creating campaigns. Take the time to research email marketing platforms and learn about the features it provides. Once you have a good understanding of what your business needs and how to use the software, create a step-by-step plan for setting up your email campaigns.
Start by creating a list of customers or contacts that fit certain criteria, then develop automated workflows and segmented emails for each group. Finally, track the performance of your campaigns and make data-driven decisions based on what you find. With a little bit of planning and preparation, you can start using email marketing automation to drive more leads, sales, and engagement for your business. Learn more about the importance of email marketing automation for your eCommerce business.
Ready to get started with your email marketing automation efforts? Reach out to the Sendlane team and request a free demo today!
Want to learn more about email marketing? Check out our similar posts: